The Exim Code is a 13-letter code issued by the Department of Customs, Ministry of Finance
(Government of Nepal), which enables businesses to engage in international trade by exporting
and importing goods.
Before engaging in any import or export activities, it is a must to register a business as a
manufacturing industry or trading firm with the relevant authorities in Nepal. This typically
involves registering the company with the Department of Industry and obtaining a Company
Registration Certificate. For home-based producers, it is compulsory to register as a private firm
at the local ward office. Additionally, obtaining a PAN and VAT numbers is a requirement from
the local office of the Inland Revenue Department. Traders (exporters/importers) must acquire an
Exim Code from the Department of Customs to conduct trade. The renewal fee for the Exim
Code is NRS 1,000.
The EXIM Code in Nepal requires regular annual updates with a Bank Guarantee, and
companies with a minimum Paid up Capital up to 10 Lakh can apply for it, while no minimum
Paid up Capital is needed for export purposes.The Code will be issued approximately one week
after the complete submission of the application.
Documents required for the application:
1. Application form
2. Citizenship copies of an individual or of all shareholders in a partnership firm
3. Company/firm registration certificate.
4. PAN/ VAT certificate
5. Recent passport size photo of the proprietor
6. Special certificates (if required).
7. Minimum 10 lakh paid-up capital proof for companies registered under Department of
Industry, Department of Commerce, or Department of Small and Cottage Industry (Share
8. Recommendation from the bank where the applicant has an account.
9. Request letter from Department of Industry for companies registered at Department of
Small and Cottage Industry after 2074 which is mandatory.
10. Recommendation letter from Bank (if necessary)
11. Exact MAP tracing of the enterprise.
12. Bank Guarantee Document amounting to NRS 3,00,000 or cheque deposit issued by a
Class A bank certified by Nepal Rastra Bank.
To consult or get legal advice from our Expert for Legal Services for Exim Code in Nepal/
Registeration & Renewal of Exim Code in Nepal/Requirement of Exim code to do import
& export goods in Nepal ; contact us at: 977-01-4102849/977-9851059026, Prime Law
Associates, Anamnagar, Kathamndu, firstname.lastname@example.org , www. primelawnepal.com
This article is for informational purposes only and shall not be construed as legal advice,
advertisement, personal communication, solicitation or inducement of any sort from the firm or
any of its members. The law office shall not be liable for consequences arising out of any action
undertaken by any person relying on the information provided herein.